Sunday, August 4, 2013

INSPIRING WORDS OF WISDOM FROM THE GREAT

Nelson Mandela

Wounds that can’t be seen are more painful than those that can be seen and cured by a doctor. I learned that to humiliate another person is to make him suffer an unnecessarily cruel fate.

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear but the triumph over it.

I felt fear myself more times than I can remember, but I hid it behind a mask of boldness. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid but he who conquers fear.

Where people of goodwill get together and transcend their differences for the common good, peaceful and just solutions can be found, even for those problems that seem most intractable.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/words-of-wisdom-who-lived-full-life/#ixzz2b4d9o510

Jane Goodall

We’ve been very arrogant in assuming that there’s a sharp line dividing us from the rest of the animal kingdom. We are not the only beings on this planet with personalities, minds, and, above all, emotions. We need to be more respectful.

As a child, I dreamed of going to Africa, living there with the animals, and not a day passed when I wasn’t almost disbelieving that such an amazing thing happened. Being out on my own in nature, with or without the chimpanzees, is just something I loved.

The most important thing we can do to try to get out of the mess we’ve made on this planet is to spend time thinking about the consequences of the choices we make. What did we eat? How was it grown? Did it adversely affect animal welfare? Is it good for human health? What do we wear? Where was it made? Could we make it in a way that is less damaging to the environment? If we start thinking like that, inevitably people make small changes. And if people start making small changes, then you start getting the major change that we must have if we care about the future for our children.

—Jane Goodall, primatologist and conservationist • founder, the Jane Goodall Institute for Wildlife Research, Education and Conservation, based in Washington, D.C.


Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/words-of-wisdom-who-lived-full-life/#ixzz2b4egll00

Jacques Pépin

For most kids now, a chicken is rectangular. It’s got plastic on top, and it doesn’t have eyes or feet. This is scary. You should never eat something you cannot recognize. A simple principle, but important.

Children never lie. I have a granddaughter, and if she likes something, she says, ‘Papa, it’s good,’ or, if she doesn’t, ‘It’s no good.’ There is no sarcasm. I remember my daughter standing in her crib the first time I gave her caviar. I put it on bread. She ate it and said, ‘Encore, Papa.’

Cook with love. Sit down around the table and share food with your children and your family. When my daughter was small, she’d get home and say, ‘Mum, what’s for dinner?’ My wife would say, ‘Food.’ That’s where it stayed. We have been married 43 years now, and I don’t remember a time when we did not sit around the table an hour every night. It’s not necessarily a pleasant conversation to recap the day, but it’s necessary. Otherwise there is no communication.

—Jacques Pépin, chef & author, 25 cookbooks & founder, American Institute of Wine & Food


Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/words-of-wisdom-who-lived-full-life/#ixzz2b4f0fBMt







No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unfiltered Identity: Embracing Authenticity in the Age of Social Media"

"In a world full of filters and facade, be your authentic self" emphasizes the importance of authenticity in a society...